The innovations introduced in HiLo are part of ongoing research. As a result, the development of HiLo generates scientific results and output in the form of scientific journal and conference papers.
- P. Block, A. Schlueter, D. Veenendaal, J. Bakker, M. Begle, I. Hischier, J. Hofer, P. Jayathissa, I. Maxwell, T. Méndez Echenagucia, Z. Nagy, D. Pigram, B. Svetozarevic, R. Torsing, J. Verbeek, A. Willmann, G.P. Lydon, NEST HiLo: Investigating lightweight construction and adaptive energy systems, Journal of Building Engineering, Volume 12, 2017, Pages 332-341. Note: This paper has two equally contributing first and corresponding authors, so please refer to this paper as Block, Schlueter et al. 2017.
- G.P. Lydon, J. Hofer, B. Svetozarevic, Z. Nagy, A. Schlueter, Coupling energy systems with lightweight structures for a net plus energy building, Appl. Energy, 189 (2017), pp. 310-326.
Integrated funicular floor system
- G.P. Lydon, J. Hofer, Z. Nagy, A. Schlueter, High-resolution analysis for the development of tabs in lightweight structures, in: IBPSA Building Simulation 2017, San Francisco, USA, 2017.
- Liew A., López López D., Van Mele T. and Block P, Design, fabrication and testing of a prototype, thin-vaulted, unreinforced concrete floor, Engineering Structures,137: 323-335,2017.
- G.P. Lydon, J. Hofer, Z. Nagy, A. Schlueter, Thermal analysis of a multifunctional floor element, in: IBPSA Building Simulation and Optimization 2016, Newcastle, UK, 2016.
- López López D., Veenendaal D., Akbarzadeh M. and Block P. Prototype of an ultra-thin, concrete vaulted floor system. Proceedings of the IASS-SLTE 2014 Symposium, Brasilia, Brazil,2014.
Lightweight formwork system
- Veenendaal, D. and Block, P. Design process for a prototype concrete shells using a hybrid cable-net and fabric formwork. Engineering Structures, 75: 39-50, 2014.
Veenendaal, D., Bezbradica, M., Novak, D. and Block, P. Controlling the geometry and forces of hybrid cable-net and fabric formworks. Proceedings of the IASS-SLTE 2014 Symposium, Brasilia, Brazil, 2014. Accepted for publication.
- Groenewolt A, Bakker J, Hofer J, Nagy Z, Schlueter A. Methods for modeling, analysis and optimization of bendable photovoltaic modules on irregularly curved surfaces. Int. Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering, 2016.
- Hofer J, Nagy Z, Schlueter A. Electrical design and layout optimization of flexible thin-film photovoltaic modules. EU PVSEC Conference, Munich, Germany, 2016.
- G.P. Lydon, A. Willmann, J. Hofer, Z. Nagy, A. Schlueter, Balancing operational and embodied emissions for the energy concept of an experimental research and living unit, in: Proceedings of CISBAT, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2015.
Adaptive solar facade
- Jayathissaa P, Luzzatto M, Schmidli J, Hofer J, Nagy Z, Schlueter A. Optimising Building Net Energy Demand with Dynamic BIPV Shading. Applied Energy, 202, 726-735, 2017.
- Jayathissa P, Schmidli J, Hofer J, Schlueter A. Energy performance of PV modules as adaptive building shading systems. EU PVSEC Conference, Munich, Germany, 2016.
- Nagy Z, Svetozarevic B, Jayathissa P, Begle M, Hofer J, Lydon G, Willmann A, Schlueter A. The Adaptive Solar Facade: From Concept to Prototypes. Frontiers of Architectural Research, 5, 2, 2016.
- Jayathissa P, Caranovic S, Begle M, Svetozarevic B, Hofer J, Nagy Z, Schlueter A. Structural and Architectural Integration of Adaptive Photovoltaic Modules. Conference on Advanced Building Skins, Bern, Switzerland, October 10-11, 2016.
- Svetozarevic B, Nagy Z, Hofer J, Jacob D, Begle M, Chatzi E, Schlueter A. SoRo-Track: A Two-Axis Soft Robotic Platform for Solar Tracking and Building-Integrated Photovoltaic Applications. IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics and Automation, Stockholm, Sweden, 2016.
- Hofer J, Groenewolt A, Jayathissa P, Nagy Z, Schlueter A. Parametric analysis and systems design of dynamic photovoltaic shading modules. Energy Science and Engineering, 4, 2, 134–152, 2016.
- Rossi, D., Nagy, Z. and Schlueter, A. Adaptive Distributed Robotics for Environmental Performance, Occupant Comfort and Architectural Expression, Int’l. Journal of Architectural Computing, vol.10, No.3, pp.341-360, September 2012.
- Svetozarevic, B., Nagy, Z., Rossi, D., and Schlueter, A. Experimental Characterization of a 2-DOF Soft Robotic Platform for Architectural Applications, Robotics: Science and Systems, Workshop on Advances on Soft Robotics, Berkley, CA, USA, 2014.
- Rossi D., Nagy Z. and Schlueter, A. Simulation Framework for Design of Adaptive Solar Facade Systems, CISBAT, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2013.
Occupant-centred control system
- Nagy, Z., Hazas, M., Frei, M., Rossi, D. and Schlueter, A. Illuminating Adaptive Comfort: Dynamic Lighting for the Active Occupant, in Proc. 8th Windsor Conference: Counting the Cost of Comfort in a Changing World, April 2014, London, UK.